2019 has been declared by UNESCO « Year of Indigenous Languages ». The organisation has decided to direct its social actions on the conservation and the valorization of linguistic diversity. It has set up a reference site to allow actors to commit oneself and expand the exposure for their organized events on indigenous languages. To give some context to this theme, Unesco has published some statistics:
- 7,000 languages spoken worldwide
- 370 millions indigenous people in the world
- 90 countries with indigenous communities
- 5,000 different indigenous cultures
- 2,680 languages in danger
The Wiktionary plays a growing role in the defence and conservations of languages. The project hosts and decribes every languages without distinction and save traces left in human history. Many editors record languages not well known in the West and allow them to reach more people, but there is still a lot of work to do.