Étymologie[modifier le wikicode]
Nom commun [modifier le wikicode]
- (Indénombrable) (Géologie) Roche-mère, soubassement rocheux.
- In construction and engineering, it is often desired to place foundations on bedrock in order to improve the stability of a structure.
- (Figuré) Base, fondement, socle, pierre angulaire, ciment.
- [...] although many individual bazaaris may continue to prosper, the Bazaar’s form of governance has changed and, with it, so have the interpersonal relations that are the bedrock for feelings of solidarity. — (Arang Keshavarzian, Bazaar and State in Iran: The Politics of the Tehran Marketplace, page 77. Cambridge University Press, 2007.)
- [...] the bedrock of democracy is public participation in the functioning, planning, and decision-making of society. — (Robert M. Abbott, Foreword (« Visible Cities: A Meditation on Civic Engagement fir Urban Sustainability and Landscape Regenartion », page 16, dans Handbook of Regenerative Landscape Design (sous la direction de Robert L. France). CRC Press, collection « Integrative Studies in Water Management and Land Development », 2008.)
- private property has been many things. According to some of its strongest advocates, it is the bedrock of freedom, democracy, personal security, capitalism, and wealth, as well as the surest defense against tyranny. — (Louis Warren, chapitre 15 (« Owning Nature: Toward an Environmental History of Private Property »), page 470, dans The Oxford Handbook of Environmental History (sous la direction d’Andrew C. Isenberg). Oxford University Press, 2014.)
- [...] it would be destructive of one of the core principles of constitutional propriety and of the mutual trust that is the bedrock of the relationship between the court and the crown for the prime minister or the government to renege on what they have assured the court that the prime minister intends to do. — (Lord Pentland, sitting in the Court of Session. Cité par Severin Carrell, « Court rejects latest request to force PM to ask for Brexit extension ». Theguardian.com, 7 octobre 2019.)